Search Feature

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Venison Shoulder on the Tractor Tire Rim




This was from my last camp trip. I took a venison shoulder from the white tailed doe taken last rifle season. I like to cook venison shoulders whole, it takes so much time to whittle around the silver skin on a shoulder this is a quick, easy way to cook it. I used to grind the shoulders for burger/sausage but this is my favorite way to cook one.
Also, it smells SO good while slow roasting over the fire. :)

I marinaded the shoulder in Alegro game marinade. Then gave it a sprinkle of Dinks Udder Madness dry rub...



Had the fire going in the tractor rim for breakfast so I just added a small log and set the venison on the low heat side of the fire...


I let the shoulder slow roast all day, rotating and flipping the meat every so often and adding another log to the fire when needed...



I basted the venison with a kicked up beef stock. ( garlic, onion, worst., cayenne)




Did some fishin'...



I watched for the pullback on the bone that I wanted...



added a skillet of peppers and onions...



heated a few tortillas...
and called er good.









Tried out some moonshine hot sauce that my big brother sent to me. :)



this was self serve... grabbed a hot tortilla, topped with slices of venison, the onions and peppers....then a splash of hot sauce and ended with fresh pico...



It was simple but tasty. The shoulder slow cooked over the fire for 8 hours. The meat was smokey, tender and pink in the center... just how I like venison.
After dinner, I carved the remaining meat from the bone, bagged and saved it for future meals.


Just got back from a week in Texas. Really had a nice time visiting friends and family. Had a few late night sessions but it was a lot of fun catching up on what's going on in everyone's life. :)


2 comments:

Bushman said...

Then you took the bone from the shoulder and used it for a paddle while canoeing around the lake?
I knew it.
Looks great. Never thought about doing something like that with a shoulder. They can be a pain to butcher.
Well Done!

cowgirl said...

LOL! Thanks Bushman! I did wrap the bone up and saved it for my dog.
Shoulders really can be a pain, I like this method of cooking them whole.
Hope you're having a great weekend! :)