Search Feature

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Bacon Biscuits n Sausage Gravy on the Fire




Did a ton of cooking on my last trip camping. Guess I thought it might be my last time out before winter hits  
I like dutch oven cobbler OK but it's just not one of my favorite things. I guess I am more fond of savory foods instead of desserts.  Thinking along the line of cobbler, I came up with this breakfast.

Browned some sausage over the fire...



added flour, salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne...



then milk...
made the gravy on the thin side so it wouldn't get too thick while the biscuits cooked.



made baking powder biscuit dough. Rolled out, brushed with bacon drippings and topped with crisp cooked bacon pieces...



Rolled and sliced...




I smooshed the biscuits down a bit in size thinking they would cook evenly...
then placed them on the hot, bubbly sausage gravy.


Into the tractor tire rim....




Topped the dutch oven with a lid and shoveled a few hot coals on top...





I let this cook for about 20 minutes...



the biscuits browned and the gravy was hot and bubbly...







I really liked the way this turned out. The gravy wasn't too thick, and the biscuits cooked through. I think I lucked out. :)



The bacon was a great addition to the biscuits. You can never go wrong with bacon though. :)





I'll make this one again for sure. The hardest part was rolling out the biscuit dough. I might try different doughs or even some bisquick and see how well that works.
Overall I loved the stuff!

Thanks for looking!


6 comments:

Chris said...

Brilliant idea with the biscuits! I have to try this, Alexis will love it.

poetcomic1 said...

That plate of biscuits and gravy should hang in an art gallery with a frame around it.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Chris! Hope you all enjoy it. :)

cowgirl said...

Mighty kind of you to say Poetcomic, thank you! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Old Smoke said...

Dang gal That REALLY looks GOOD! Biscuits 'n Gravy my favorite food.

cowgirl said...

Thank you!! :)