Search Feature

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fire Roasted Crab Stuffed Salmon




I make this often at home on the grill and smoker but wanted to see how it worked on the tractor rim while camping.

I wanted to cook brussel sprouts too and thought about stringing them onto skewers. Then decided to be lazy and throw them in my popcorn popper instead, with bacon drippings, onions, garlic and seasonings....



I placed them on the fire and gave them a shake every once in awhile.




trimmed a slab of salmon...



made the crab stuffing... crab meat, scallions, garlic, lemon pepper, parsley and Pookie G DaYum rub.



The Pookie G rubs are made by talented friend Wickedcajun ... Hopefully he will have a web site for his rubs soon. If you are interested in trying these rubs, let me know. I can get you in touch with him or his Mrs.



I stuffed the salmon, drizzled well with oil (also oiled the skin side too) and sprinkled with Pookie G Season All...




onto the tractor rim, skin side down with a low burning log on each side of the fish...










I watched for the juices to rise to the top of the salmon and the fish flaked easily....then pulled it off the heat and let it rest for a few minutes. The cook took about 30 minutes.







The salmon was flaky, moist and tender. Had great flavor from the wood smoke and I loved the Pookie G rubs too!





The next day I toasted bagels, spread them with cream cheese, seasoned with pepper and added the smoked salmon and crab..



They were danged tasty too. :)



Now that I know this isn't such a pain to make while camping, I'll do it again!  :)

2 comments:

Old Smoke said...

WOW!
Great looking gourmet meals on a tractor rim.....
How do ya get fresh salmon in your neck of the woods? I'm sure they don't swim that far....lol...;)

cowgirl said...

Thank you!! Good to see ya! :)
The local grocery store gets fresh fish flown in twice a week. They also will special order stuff for me when needed.
Wish I could catch my own salmon! :)