Search Feature

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Campfire Shrimp n Grits





I'm thinking that when I die, I want this to be my last meal. :)  I love shrimp n cheesy grits but cooked over an open fire takes the flavor to the next level.

This was one of the breakfasts I made while camping. To make the cook easier on me (wasn't awake enough to cook) I fried the bacon the day before and saved the drippin's.



I've just recently been introduced to Conecuh sausage and really love the stuff. I used the spicy kind in this cook.
Also some peppers, garlic and onions.

Started the grits first. One cup of grits, three cups of water...then added two cups of heavy cream at the end. (also cheese)



I cooked the sliced sausage in bacon drippings...



gave the grits a stir every so often...



removed the browned sausage and added the peppers, onions and garlic to the skillet..



when the veggies were tender I added a couple TBS of flour and about 1 cup of chicken stock...





I let this thicken and returned the cooked sausage to the pan....



I had some peeled shrimp tossed with oil, sprinkled with cayenne and salt.
Threw them on the fire ( they cooked fast)








Tossed the grilled shrimp into the skillet....



Added cheese to the grits...






Topped the skillet of shrimp and sausage with crisp bacon and called er good.















This was one of those meals that makes a small whimper come out of my mouth and my eyes roll back when I take a bite. Just love the stuff!

Now that I'm back home, eating popcorn for supper, I sure wish I were back at the lake!


Thanks for looking.. 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW - that´s amazing!!!

I love shrimps ´n grits and next time, I try doin it your way.
What is this sausage close to? Can´t get this here. Is it close to a polish kielbasa?

Big Ol´Rolf

cowgirl said...

Thank you Rolf, it's great to see you!
The sausage is a little spicy and smoked. I think kielbasa would be fine.
Hope you have great luck with it!
I need to stop by the forum and see what you have been up to. I bet you're cooking some wonderful food!!
Thanks for stopping by. :)

Chris said...

Isn't that sausage the best? We found it in a little country store about 5 years ago and fell in love with it! Have a great weekend, J!

cowgirl said...

Thanks! I love it too Chris. Can't get it here in Oklahoma but found a place in Texas.
The cows have started calving....seems like spring is officially here. :)
Hope you have a great weekend too, nice to see ya! :)

Jim Dorchak said...

Hey those grits look yummy. I have not had any since I moved from SC down here to Chile.
My son is in the Air Force at Tinker Air field and I was wondering how far away that was from you?

Thanks

Jim

cowgirl said...

Thanks Jim, Hope all is well in Chile.
Great about your son being at Tinker. Be sure to Thank him for his service for me.
I'm around 6 hrs from there.
Good to see you!

Jim Dorchak said...

We are doing great here in Chile! We purchased our little homestead and have been installing water towers, septic systems and building a small cabin. We have sheep now, but I need to upgrade my fence, so wood cutter, then fence, then pigs and a few steers and I will be right as rain. (we have 104" a year here).

Thanks for the yummies!
Jim

cowgirl said...

Jim that sounds wonderful! You have a little slice of heaven down there. Let me know if you start a blog, I'd love to see what all you've done. :)

Jim Dorchak said...

Jeannie
ChileExpatFamily

Is our YouTube Channel (You ought to try this)

WWW.OurChileanAdventure.blogspot.com

Is our blog,

My wife Lori is a Plant Person and she has a wonderful blog as well:

https://patagonianaturejournal.wordpress.com/

I keep up with the YouTube. Lori and I share the OurChileanAdventure.blogspot.com and Lori does the Patagonian Nature Journal.

Enjoy and leave comments please!

Jim

cowgirl said...

That's great Jim!! I will check them out. Thanks so much!