Search Feature

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas





Camping season is over for me but I have quite a few camp cooks that need to be posted. lol

This meal worked out great. I planned it before leaving home so I could make this on the first night of camping, after setting up camp.
I smoked a chicken at home, shredded and bagged it and tossed it in the ice chest.

Then at the lake I made a creamy sauce using a good dab of sour cream, cream of chicken soup, scallions, a bit of milk, shredded cheese and salt to taste.

I topped each flour tortilla with the shredded chicken, scallions, sauce and more cheese. Some were topped with black olives too.





I like my enchiladas soft so as a precaution I placed a sacrificial tortilla in the bottom of the dutch oven. Just in case!



Then placed the enchiladas on top...



I topped the first layer with sauce, cheese and scallions, then repeated with another layer...
then poured in one cup of chicken stock.



Started the fire. I didn't need many logs for this... just enough for a good bed of hot coals.




shoveled a few coals on the top...



They took about 25 to 30 minutes to get hot and bubbly...







I scooped a couple off the top...



drizzled with sriracha sauce...






They were hot, gooey, creamy and cheesy...





These tasted so good. I make them at home in the oven but I guess the smoke from the camp fire gives them a little extra something. I need to try this in my backyard. :)

The weather was nice this trip... and the moon was amazing!



It will probably be March before I go camping again. I need to find something to keep me occupied this winter so I won't go stir crazy.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!


I forgot to add;
The sacrificial tortilla in the bottom of the dutch oven did get crispy on the bottom...



It kept the enchiladas nice and soft.
I broke off pieces to inspect...it tasted pretty good! :)


2 comments:

Sid said...

Those look good, have to give them a try. Nice to see you back from your break. Hope all's been well and have a happy holiday season.

cowgirl said...

Thanks, it's great to see you Chris! Hope all is well with you and you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Deer season is going on here. Have one hanging, so I won't go hungry this winter.
Thank you for stopping by! (((HUGS))) :)